The Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT), which is performed under local anaesthesia, is designed to treat patients who have greater saphenous vein incompetence and reflux at the saphenofemoral junction in the groin. Boasting a 95% success rate, ELVT replaces the need to strip the vein surgically. The process initially entails a thorough Duplex Ultrasound where the vein is verified as incompetent.
Under sterile conditions and with Ultrasound Guidance, a needle is inserted in the vein and a “J” tipped guided wire is inserted through the needle. The needle is withdrawn and a double Lumen 5 French catheter is inserted over the guide wire. The guide wire, as well as the inner catheter, is removed and a Micron Laser Fibre is inserted into the remaining catheter. Using 8-14 watts of continuous energy, the laser is slowly withdrawn.
The benefits of Endovenous Laser Treatment:
• It is done in an outpatient setting in a suitable facility.
• It eliminates the morbidity that is associated with stripping and ligation.
• The patient may resume work the following day and walk immediately.
• There is much less scarring or pain associated with this procedure
• This procedure is less expensive than standard stripping and ligation.
© 2016 The Gibson Vein Practice | Designed by Green Room
Disclaimer 1. This site is Advice ONLY 2. Errors and omissions are possible and all information should be checked, confirmed and individualised.